Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Lord has given me a friend I love

Proverbs 18:24
A man [that hath] friends must shew himself friendly:
and there is a friend [that] sticketh closer than a brother.


It’s been 2 years since I met my friend Robyn, and I have come to count our friendship a rare privilege. My heart is increasingly knit toward her as the Lord has seen fit to bless me with a sister-in-Christ. I am looking forward to many years of deepening friendship as we live in this world though we are not of it. Now that I know Robyn, I can’t imagine a future without her.

It is hard to sum up the last two years. A verse comes to mind and then another quickly follows it. When I think of Robyn, I think of Proverbs 37:4. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. I think of Psalm 42:1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. As well as Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Robyn has been an example of this and more.

If I could, I'd like to share those things about her that I consider a blessing to me, because it is not everyday that the Lord blesses with a friendship such as this.

  • Robyn has a growing and seemingly insatiable desire to know the wisdom of God. Almost every time I ask her if she’s heard of a book or CD by a Christian author she says, “I already have it."
  • She has not only cultivated a love for home, family, and husband but also contentment to continue to grow in Christian maturity. She holds the conviction that growing in Christ is not only her duty but a life work.
  • Robyn loves to share those things which are precious to her, namely her convictions about a woman’s role, home-schooling, home-making, child rearing, and more. She has shared many stories with me of reaching out to friends sharing about these things as she counts them a true joy.
  • Robyn shares my love of curiosity and trying new things. Whether it’s gardening, sewing, cooking, photography, a new homeschooling idea, Robyn is excited to try it.
  • Robyn thinks long term. She specifically plans for the future, walking circumspectly, carefully looking out for pitfalls that would affect her and her son.
  • Robyn is delighted to appeal to her husband. She is open in asking for help. She also openly praises his wisdom.
  • Robyn has no love for the flesh and hypocrisy and pursues purity of heart.
  • Robyn radiates biblical defined beauty.
  • She is very quick to offer a smile and a laugh. Her joy is contagious.
  • Robyn is also quick to offer friendship.
  • She faces trials by seeking out God’s wisdom for it.
  • Robyn is trusting in our friendship.
  • Robyn always exhibits a respect for our relationship. She never threatens it with gossip, slander, complaining or bitterness, but always has a kind word and always maintains purity of purpose with her objectives and investments into the friendship.
Robyn has not only been someone with whom I shares interests and perspectives for life, our friendship has been very edifying to me. The blessings that I have received from fellowship with her have been increased opportunity to humble myself, for self-examination, for storing up more wisdom, (can we ever have enough?) a strengthened love and trust in the Lord, opportunities to rejoice with her in her victories, sympathize with her, an increased desire to know more of God’s word, a greater opportunity for prayer.

Knowing Robyn means I have a friend that I love.

Recommended Resources:
Young Lady's Guide to the Harmonious Development of Christian Character
Elsie Dinsmore series - 50% off
Beautiful Girlhood Library
Training Dominion-Oriented Daughters

No comments: