Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cowboy Up!

I made one of our family favorites the other day....Cowboy Coffee Cake. We've been experimenting with Spelt lately so familiar recipes are fun to fiddle with. It came out like a sweet baked puddle. Ugly but edible. This morning's cravings were plenty of motivation to give it another try.

We grind our own grain by the hopper full in a NutriMill and then store what we're not using in the freezer. Bringing it to room temperature takes just as much time as collecting the eggs from outside.


Spelt is about as light as cake flour. This recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups of flour total. I used 1/4 cup of Spelt last time...This go round I used 3/4 cup totaling 2 3/4 cups flour.

The reason you always asked Mom if you could help make it when you were little...

...and don't forget the salt.

Grandma's pastry cutter and depression era bowls.

Saving some for the topping.

Howdy partner...You can put in too much cinnamon and it's just fine with me. Baking soda, baking powder, and nutmeg.

It's just not southern without buttermilk. Farm fresh eggs too.

My all-time-favorite-basic-necessity-Cookbook-in-which-I-put-my-complete-trust-and-would-be-daring-enough-to-cook-a-new-recipe-out-of-for-first-time-guests. It's never failed me in other words. You'll find this recipe on pg. 125 ;)

Sprinklin' the yum on top.

350' and 45 minutes later...

It rose higher than ever and disappeared twice as fast.

1 comment:

homespun mommy said...

Yummy! I have not ventured into spelt yet. I may sooner now with this waiting to be tried! Thanks ladies!
♥,
RoseAnn