Monday, May 18, 2009

BEEcause they are swarming...



Gardening: How To Collect A Bee Swarm

A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

A small swarm of honey bees just showed up in our front magnolia tree. They nearly filled the front yard until they settled down on a limb. Mom has mentioned wanting to keep bees now and then and the day before yesterday we were just rolling over the idea again. After they showed up today I grabbed my copies of "The Backyard Homestead" and "Country Wisdom and Know-How" and did some quick reading. Swarms don't stick around long and so since we aren't set up for them quite yet, and nor do we have any idea how to catch a swarm of bees and convince them that we'd make wonderful owners, we had to pass on the opportunity. Tomorrow I have a bee man coming over to show me how it's done. It should be very interesting and I should be able to get a reading of just how it much it registers on the scary meter. From my resesarch I have found that you can mail order bees in. I think I sorta want to try it just to see the postman's face. ;)

For more info on Bee Keeping consider Country Wisdom & Know-How or The Backyard Homestead

No comments: