Saturday, February 21, 2009

Liberals Respond to NPR's Article About SAICFF

There's quite a few "interesting" comments on the NPR article that I linked to this morning.

Rebecca Neubacher wrote:
"I am appalled that while this country is in such economical turmoil, this Christian Organization is spending millions of dollars on narrow minded movies. Shouldn't they spend their millions to feed kids, or shelter the homeless? Is this really what Jesus would advocate? MOVIES????"

Matt Noerpel wrote:
"A number of things pop out at me about this story. The biggest is the continued story that Christians are underdogs. This idea is completely preposterous. Christians have controlled the government and the political climate of the US since its inception. There has never been a non-christian president and the legislature is overwhelmingly christian as well.

Second, Christians have Billions of dollars. Christianity is a huge industry. They're not using any new revolutionizing the movie industry, they're spending lots of money, just like everyone else in Hollywood.

And why does this matter? If Christians making heavy handed movies was the only thing going on here, it wouldn't really effect my life more than the occasional 5 minute story I'd hear on NPR, but that's not where it ends. The movies are one of a number of ways the Christian Right is trying (and succeeding) at setting policy in the this country. We've seen it with the eroding away of abortion rights and the attack on homosexuals in the past eight years, and these movies are the propaganda arm of that movement."

Daniel Lion wrote:
[Well, we don't know because...] An NPR moderator has removed this comment because it does not adhere to the discussion guidelines

Mark Christiansen wrote:
"Kudos to these folks. Hollywood has turned its back on the large number of movie consumers who are tired of sex, violence, and often outright attacks on their faith. Hollywood won't even let companies rent out "cleaned up" DVDs."

E. Truesdale wrote:
"Wow - Although I cringe to hear about this kind of thing, I guess it's a public service of NPR to point this movement out so I can avoid these Pollyannas and their films. I consider myself a Secular Humanist; I possess the critical thinking skills needed to avoid the Hollywood violence and the hypersexualization I don't want my kids to see, and I feel badly for others who feel they must be told by others how to a good life, as if they can't figure it out or trust themselves. And while I would not disparage others for their religious beliefs, I similarly don't want others' beliefs foisted on me as if I am somehow immoral, inferior and incapable of making appropriate choices for myself."


Stop back by NPR's article and leave an edifying and accurate comment. Share your praise for the films and the industry that is making history along with quite a ripple.

1 comment:

Nick Jesch said...

What most of the "anti" commenters to the NPR piece fail to realise is that is was Hollywood, in a carefully crafted and deliberatly calculated (and well-documented) campaign that has almost singlehandedly redefined the cultural and moral ethos of this nation. This change is so pervasive it has become the norm, and accepted as "good" and "right" and "normal" for a generation now. And what we are about is simply moving to side-step this corruption of righteousness and begin again with a new industry dedicated to a higher standard.
I had to laugh at some of the comments, whose authors so totally miss reality one hardly knows where to begin to counter them. The one complaining about the "high necklines and low hemlines" amongst the Festival attendees putting demands on HER standards. Oh well, what can one do except to live godly in Christ Jesus. Maybe one day she will tire of having her "own skin" on display.