Wednesday, April 30, 2008

By Rule and Square


In celebration of a favorite annual Reins family event, I have a poem that depicts the character of our patriarchal birthday boy: for he is truly, "by rule and square."

Which Am I?

I watched them tearing a building down,
A gang of men in a busy town,
With a ho-heave-ho and a lusty yell,
They swung a beam and a side wall fell.

I asked the foreman, "Are these men skilled?
And the men you'd hire if you had to build?"
He gave a laugh and said, "No, indeed!
Just common labor is all I need."

"I can easily wreck in a day or two
What builders have taken a year to do."
And I thought to myself as I went my way,
Which of these have I tried to play?

Am I a builder who works with care,
Measuring life by the rule and square?
Am I shaping my deeds to a well-made plan,
Patiently doing the best I can?
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town,
Content with the labor of tearing down?
~Anonymous

Bappy Hirthday Dad.
Awaiting molten chocolate madness...
The old standby, the knife-through-the-head-trick passes the time.
Our order of "4 dirty suckers" arrives
(otherwise known as chlorinated water.)

Until next year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many happy returns! I like that knife through head trick. LOL. And I really like that pretty crochet picture up at the top of your blog, too.

-Christine from Arizona

Miss Kelly & Miss Andrea said...

Christine-
Glad to see you back! Thank you for the compliment. Do you crochet?

The crocheting is the edge work on a table runner that belonged to my mother's mother. It decorates my sewing table.

My little brother, by unofficial adoption, loaned me his canon rebel camera for a day, sent me off with some basic instructions (thank goodness) and I ended up taking pictures of practically everything in the house. I was glad to be able to put it to good use.

God Bless,
Kelly