Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Marriage An Idol ~ Another Perspective.

We've all been there before.

For me, I'm usually on the computer when it happens. I'm writing a groundbreaking narrative, full of earth-shattering subject matter, and I've gotten to the juiciest bit. As my fingers fly over the keyboard for those next fateful words...

"Jasmine!"

And I sigh. I have to get up and leave, often never to come back for hours, maybe even days. Some days, I hear my name so many times from my siblings and my parents that I quip, "That's it! My name is Karen! If anybody needs anything, say 'Karen,' because I'm tried of hearing 'Jasmine!'" :)

And then I think, Oh, Lord! I can't wait 'till I have my own home. These people are driving me nuts!

Because of my convictions about godly womanhood, my motives for marriage have been questioned. Is it right for one so young to be so "preoccupied" with such a state? Am I making marriage an idol?

Personally, I believe a desire for marriage is right and good, completely normative within the biblical and cultural paradigm. But I do think, for a lot of young women, marriage does become an idol. And I don't just mean the desire for the beautiful, intimate state that mirrors that of Christ and the church, or the longing to raise godly children for God's glory, or the passion for impacting culture. I mean that marriage becomes an idol in a quest for something better than what God's already offered us.

Thanks Jasmine for your insights. Read the rest here.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I am a young, single woman too, and I can relate.

Thank you Andrea for entering your name in my giveaway! I just want to remind you that you may enter two more times before Monday!