Monday, March 10, 2008

A Weird Post


A work of art

We had a new furnace installed today. Part of making that happen required Andrea and I to do some rearranging in the attic. We had packed it to capacity with our hope chest stuff, amongst other things, and the workers needed us to forge a path to allow passage.

This afternoon Andrea and I started in on putting boxes back in their place. But before we got started we found ourselves marvelling at our new furnace.

"That's quite a contraption. Look at that thing. Hanging from the rafters and everything."

"Yeah, and they put it together all in two hours."

"I wonder who thought of that? It's pretty funny looking you have to admit."

This reminds me of the stacks of pictures that my Dad has. Picture after picture of odd looking contraptions from his paper mill days. As a small child I couldn't figure out why he was taking pictures of such weird things. Having no brothers it's always intriguing to see stuff like this.

Growing up Dad always wanted us with him and allowed us to be involved to an extent that was apropriate, in many projects he was working on. Carpentry, butchering, forestry, gardening, business, to name a few. But stuff like furnace installation was pretty much "man" territory. Us girls would classify it as a flashlight job. "Come here I need your help. Here hold this flashlight."

I have even more appreciation, especially after being a nanny to 4 boys and 1 girl, for days like today and the wonderfully inventive world of manhood and boyhood. (And also considering we have heat again.)
What a marvelous invention.

4 comments:

Alli said...

Hi Kelly and Andrea! What a great post! I so enjoy reading your blog. :) I have nominated you for a blog award over at my blog!

www.sheworkswithherhands.typepad.com

Alli said...

P.S.- You can pass this award on to 10 more people if you'd like to! :)

Anonymous said...

What,, I don't see any spider webs?? :) I am sure if there was any, they would be readily dispached.

Nice new furnace. I hope that it serves you well and keeps everyone warm.

Lauren Christine said...

Hee hee, I definitely understand the "flashlight job"! That was always my number one job growing up... my daddy always said I was the "steadiest flashlight holder". :)

p.s.
I was so excited to see the announcement about the film festival. I hope we'll be able to attend next year, and I really hope I'll get to see y'all again! :)