Thursday, August 30, 2007

God: the homeschooling Father

Q: What’s it like having the knowledge that you are a product of the public school system? Especially when you look around and see all these brilliant home school kids?

A: Being a product of the public school system has made me acutely aware of my need for the Savior. In order to accomplish anything that requires a real education, I have had to rely solely on Him. The time I have spent with Him as my Heavenly Homeschool Teacher has taught me a lot about Him; what He’s like and what plans He has for me. I can imagine that it has been a blessing to Him too having a blank slate to work with.

I don’t mind knowing that I am a “nobody” in conjunction with the fact that God is a “somebody.” In fact this arrangement means everything to me for many reasons. Most importantly I have gotten to know God better because of this providence.

He is Omniscient and Omnipresent.

First He is always with me, readily available with instruction, and that comforts and frees me from any anxiety that I will be a failure. As it is that I don’t bring much, and should probably say “nothing” to the table, He is always present to make a greater sacrifice and carry the greater part of the burden that I cannot shoulder; thus He is my ever-present help and my exploits can be accomplished.

I know that He will be there for my every need in the future because He has proven that by being there again and again in the past.

Midnight answers are the most exciting to receive. I have learned to have paper and pen at my bedside. There has been many a time when God has awoken me with an answer to a puzzling situation.

Because He is omniscient He is the “great resource manual” and has all the biblically sound answers I need to reconcile any question. That is why I ask Him. He’s never left me stumped…forever…(smiling) One of the pages in His manual has the instructions of how to work with Kelly. He knows me, what works, what doesn’t.

He teaches me differently than they taught me. He has been kind in giving instruction and a comfort to me as I worked.

He has taught me to focus. I have to “keep my eyes on Him” by continually going to him with questions in order to get the answers He had for me… an excellent remedy for a scatterbrain and possible ADHD case. He has what I want. The answers!

He didn’t mind working with a blank slate. He takes me from where I am to where I need to be and isn’t frustrated with me. He doesn’t allow me to use the excuses the public school did. Where I once was a slow reader/learner and was tagged so, God has shown me that this is not the truth at all. I left high school having never read an entire book in my life. Now my love for books far exceeds many things and my library shelves are running over. (Onto the floor over my desk and under the bed)

He also knows when to give an answer and when to make me work for it. He disciplines me.
He leads me or directs which way I should go in a project, rather than leaving me behind stumped and discouraged. He wipes away worries and fears of lack of accomplishment or creativity or knowledge. Sometimes I don’t even know what questions to ask and He says “try this” and in the course of trying it I learn how to think and what questions to ask the next time around when I am stumped. He’s taught me how to trouble shoot and this has boosted my confidence.

Parting Thoughts:

God doesn’t put a premium on stupidity…

Pro 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth [cometh] knowledge and understanding.
Pro 3:21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:
Pro 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget [it] not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
Pro 4:7 Wisdom [is] the principal thing; [therefore] get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Pro 4:11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
Pro 8:11 For wisdom [is] better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

God used me because once I was usable, not just because I was a blank slate but in conjunction with my brokenness. Having acknowledged that my life had been a waste apart from Him His lordship and laws, I was able in that brokenness to see my need for the Savior.

More to Come:
English lessons. He hasn’t helped me with my grammar yet…;o)

No comments: